Saturday, June 25, 2011
Monday, June 13, 2011
Saturday, June 11, 2011
1) I am fascinated with ghost and angel stories. I don't really know why.
2) I like to eat peanut butter straight from the jar. Sometimes I like to add chocolate chips.
3) I occasionally wonder why I don't just buy Reese's instead but I don't wonder about it for too long.
4) My Stepdad took me arrowhead hunting when I was little and hid one for me to find. I was well into my 20's before I realized this.
5) I love reminiscing on why God put me in a certain place at a certain time. It's like having a word on the tip of your tongue but you can't quite think of it.
6) I love going to estate auctions and sometimes I go just to watch the auction and have a hot dog or some homemade pie.
7) My favorite kind of excercise is turning up the radio and dancing around the room. The radio pictured here is the radio I had as a kid. Sadly, it doesn't work anymore.
8) I am torn between wishing I could go back and do some things differently and wanting to leave them the same because I learned a valuable lesson.
9) I was named after the character Beth in the movie "Little Women" that my mother saw as a child. We named our first son Elliott after the character in the movie "ET" that I saw as a child.
10) I have experienced an earthquake, tornado and flood but not a hurricane.
I apologize to those who may have already seen these on Facebook, but I will be doing more of these posts! Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday!
Thursday, June 9, 2011
I carried a vintage handbag in a matching shade of golden yellow that I found last summer at an estate sale. Love, love, love this handbag.
It's good for us stay at home Moms to dress up a little when we get out. It's good for the soul!
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
http://www.upscaledownhome.etsy.com/. I love her curtain tie backs. They are so unique! Many of her items are upcycled, which you know I love. So, here is the link to her blogpost featuring my collection of hats: http://upscaledownhome.net/2011/06/07/collecting-series-vintage-hats-from.aspx. The photo to the left is just a few of the hats. You can see the rest on her blogpost. Thanks Sarah!
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
http://www.grouprecipes.com/68289/cherry-turnovers-from-scratch.html. It had pretty detailed instructions which I thought would help me out. It suggested cutting in the shortening in halves instead of all at once for a flakier crust. It also suggested chilling the shortening which I'm pretty sure I didn't do last time. It was flakier than last time, but still nothing to write home about. I planned on using a pastry cutter to cut out squares, but once I got started I realized it was pretty hard to get them all the same size. I forgot to set them in the freezer before cooking them. I forgot to sprinkle on the sugar and had to take them back out of the oven to do that (did I mention I tried this toward the end of the day? I don't have much brain power left by then). Oh, and I cheated on the filling and used the canned version. I decided this was justified as I was working on learning the pastry part. One step at a time! My family liked the turnovers, so I guess it wasn't a complete failure. I thought about not posting this and trying something else, but this is my cooking journey and I want to document it as it really happened. I'm not ready to give up on pastry yet. Maybe I will try something else with pastry next month. If you have some pointers, let me know!